1) Douching can make odor and discharge worse. Ironic, since these are the most common reasons women douche in the first place. If you have an infection, douching promotes even more bacterial growth, so you wind up feeling worse than when you started.
2) Douching can’t prevent STDs. It doesn’t clean out the harmful bacteria, just washes away the good ones, which actually increases your risk of infection.
3) Douching may cause pelvic inflammatory disease. It pushes the bacteria into your uterus, where they can travel to your tubes and wreck great havoc. Women who douche have over a 70% greater risk of PID compared with women who don’t.
4) Douching is not effective birth control. In fact, it just lets more sperm surf their way into your cervix. But, I don’t have to tell YOU that, right?
5) Douching may cause ectopic pregnancy. And while the sperm are surfing north, they’ve got a straight shot for your tubes, giving you a 75% higher chance of having a pregnancy land there.
Don't get swayed by product-pushers who imply that you need their chemicals up your wahoo to be healthy. The vagina is a self-cleaning organ, when left alone to do her thing.
Photo credit: Muffet